with an amazing young female already intertwined in the fashion industry.In the vast community of thriving fashionistas/os, stand a few proficient enough to maintain the actual "dream job." One of these persons with the capability to proudly except their spot on that pedestal, is Jazzi McGilbert. Starting her career at the extremely young age of 14, she's a true success story of working your way from the bottom to the top. With her fair and heavy share of internships, Jazzi has worked with and has been featured in Teenvogue Magazine, wrote and did fashionable street interviews for Fashionista.com, contributed to Planet Magazine, and even styled for multiple photo and video shoots.
After stating that she one day hopes to start her own her magazine, this young entrepreneur is well on her way. I just recently sat down and wrote a few questions for Jazzi, interested on how she got to where she is today.
1. Is there a specific time that you can single out, having a revelation on fashion being your future?
I can't think of a singular moment, but I've always loved getting dressed.
2. What was your first job in the industry, and how old were you.
Contributor at Teen Vogue at age 14.
3. Did you first come into your career though connections - or is everything self done?
I didn't start out with any connections, just a lot of ambition.
4. Did you do anything in High School to prepare yourself more for your future?
I spent most of high school in the theater. It was the most expressive place I could find. I did costumes, makeup, directing, acting, singing, and dancing and met some of the most creative people in my life there. I also learned a lot about team work and dedication. I really loved it.
5. You went to The New School; what was your basis for choosing this "unconventional" college.My high school was very liberal and allowed me to feel comfortable breaking rules. I'm a troublemaker, and I needed a city and school where I could at least feel comfortable being "different". The New School seemed to fit that and was New York City. But I left the New School, so take that for what it's worth.
6. How did you come about choosing your major? Has this affected your career for the better, or is it more about work experience?
It was between Journalism and Art History. I ended up combining Journalism and Media Studies because it made the most sense for me, and I still got to take some Art History classes. I have qualms with the educational system as it stands today. I'm an advocate of good foundations, work experience, and well-rounded experience in general - whether or not you get that is the classroom is up to you.
7. From your blog, it shows that you are back in LA. Was moving to New York worth it, or do you wish you stayed and expanded your career here?
I'm pretty bi-coastal, and I like that. NY and LA are both really great - but both in moderation.
8. I read that you wanted to someday start a magazine. Do you have a set vibe or theme that you want to accomplish - like more independent or published/ conde nast style. Any inspirations?
Yes! Starting a magazine is one of my big-time goals. That would be a dream come true. I think it makes more sense for me to do something independent. I have more to say than "buy this!", but I'm not delusional, I know a magazine has to make money, too. So if Conde wanted to fund it and still let me do my thing, hey, I'm down, but I'm not aiming for them in particular. I have solid ideas about aesthetics, content, who I'd want to work on it, etc. I'm inspired by a lot, it couldn't just be a traditional fashion mag.
9. How does your style now, compare to when you were in junior high?
I think my style is just as expressive now as it was then, but I'm less insecure about not fitting in. I also have a larger fashion vocabulary now than I did then. I have a lot more to reference and a lot more to say. Sometimes it's as simple as "I want to be feminine," and I can say that with more than something pink.
10. It seems as if you have your hand in every aspect of fashion. Is there a certain job that you prefer above the others?
I love coming up with ideas, prepping for shoots, collaborating, and being on a set/on location. I'm an ideas girl - I think I'd like to Creative Direct above all. But I love everything I do - I'd hate to choose one.
11. Cliche Question: Any advice for aspiring younguns like me, who want to pursue a career in fashion - journalism, styling, PR, exc?
Work hard, be nice, be confident, ask questions, and don't get caught up in the superficial. Oh, and read my blog.
Find her at, JazziMCG.com, her blog.
.. forever,cory






30 comments:
I love this interview! I always want to get to know about people who are ambitious and inspiring in fashion industry. xxoxoxoxoxo
she's an inpiration, i love people who have lots of ambition :)
and well done on getting the interview too!
xxx
a great interview!
I always love to read what people who want to really get into the centre of the fashion industry are doing. i'm stuck in vienna with no where to turn too lol. so its great to read about other teens realyl doing something - like you! great job
some great questions. lucky you. cool interview.
Ohhh fun interview! She has such a fantastic vest on!
Really, that's great!
I've kept reading it & really like it.
Jazzi seems like such a coool person, I'll be sure to check out her blog :)
really great interview with a perfect subject, Cory!
great post!!
x
x
This interview is great!! You are so ambitious, and you even were a Team Vogue contributor at 14! Wow Cory!!
xoxo
i love the interview she is so cool
lovely style!!!
btw loving ur blog
x
Absolutely fabulous interview, she is definitely an inspiration!
Thank you for the interview :-D You have a very cool blog, keep up the good work ^^
thank u:)
oh wow working for teen vougue at the age of 14!
very magazineish (haha that so isn't a word) blog u have it's great!
x
karla
she seems amazing!
thanks for sharingg
Loved this interview! Very inspirational :) And I love her pictures!
I've been reading Jazzi's blog for about a year, she's an incredible inspiration! I'd gladly work for her future fashion magazine :0
Great interview! It's nice to see you actually did some research instead of asking random questions which could have applied to anyone. Journalism seems right up your alley!
just browsed through ur blog, im lovin it, great visual concept. very dynamic.
Very inspiring! You did a great job with this interview!
This is a rad feature!
Can I suggest an interview subject? La Carmina at www.lacarmina.com? She has mad Harajuku style, her blog is amazing, she has 2 books coming out....... I'd love to hear about her journey!!!
this was a fantastic interview!!! and it doesnt hurt that i have been a fan of jazzi for a while now... i love your blog!
She is so inspirational - thank you so much for sharing!
And also...I like your blog :)
ahh i really like her!! shes so sweet
she is so amazing! great interview
I feel so terribly ashamed that I haven't visited you for a while. I'm so glad to see that your blog is going from strength to strength cory. Keep it up ya? xx
Great interview! I was a broadcast journalism major in college, but changed my mind senior year! She seems like she's got great ambition and determination!
cool pics
http://wizzystyle.blogspot.com/
so lucky
xx
the crumpet girls
wowo
she's gorgeous
love the interview btw :)
Loe the interview!!
GREAT BLOG :)
xx
Post a Comment